Sunday, April 1, 2012

Meal Plan & Pancakes (a Jess post)

Well, it's been quite an adventure around here lately. If you follow me on Twitter, you may have some idea what I'm taling about. So in the midst of all of these tiny crises, running errands, and just living life, I somehow managed to misplace the meal plan I wrote out. Luckily I already went shopping so I can recollect most of it from the ingredients (insert smiley face).

So here it is. Or what I think it was and so by default is now:

Sunday: cauliflower mac & cheese
Monday: grandma's vegetable beef soup & biscuits
Tuesday: fingerling potato-leek hash & toast
Wednesday: roasted vegetable and mini-meatball pappardelle & salad
Thursday: pan fried lemon caper pork chops (I was supposed to make them this week but never got around to it) & rice
Friday: Greek mahi mahi & salad
Saturday: Chinese take out & Easter egg coloring!
A few of these are family favorites so it should be a fairly easy week... fingers crossed!

I also wanted to post about the pancakes I made the fam for breakfast this morning! I know Cory is planning to share her oatmeal pancakes and I don't want to over-flapjack you, but I figure they're different enough that it's ok and I was so excited about mine, I had to share!

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes (adapted from this recipe at Brown Eyed Baker)

Ingredients:
1 c white all purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour
2 T sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 c buttermilk
1/4 c sour cream
2 eggs
3 T melted butter (cooled)
cooking spray for greasing the pan

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Gently stir until batter is combined and slightly lumpy. Allow batter to sit for 10 minutes before cooking.

Coat skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium-high. Using a small cup or ladle, portion apprx. 1/4 c batter into 3 or 4 areas on skillet. Cook until sides look dry and bubbles form on the top. Flip pancakes over and cook until second side is golden brown. Remove to a warm plate. Repeat until batter is completely used.


These were so good- nice and fluffy- and the whole wheat flour makes it just slightly healthier. Pancakes are hands down Griffin's favorite food so he was thrilled... and even Drew said I am "an amazing cook". I make this shit look easy. Ha! We had lots of leftovers so I think Drew is going to heat them up before work this week. Two birds with one stone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment