Saturday, March 31, 2012

buttermilk fried chicken with roasted root vegetables (a Jess post)

I never fry anything. Really, never. And yeah, I say it's because frying isn't that healthy, but really it's because I don't know what the hell I'm doing with hot oil. But then I found a recipe for buttermilk fried chicken in my very favorite cookbook, so I HAD to try it. Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home is gorgeous and simple. It gives you all the tools you'd need to be an excellent home chef. And this recipe did not disappoint.

I DID have to tweak it a bit. First, because the recipe called for two whole chickens (and my tiny family would NEVER get through that much food). Second, because it calls for an overnight brining (which I totally forgot to do- my bad) and last because I pan fried the chicken as opposed to deep frying. So here is what I did:

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 cups buttermilk

1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
apprx. 1 c olive oil/ canola blend

directions:
mix the flour, garlic and onion powders, paprika and cayenne. Divide mixture between two bowls. Pour buttermilk into a third bowl and mix in salt and pepper. Line all three bowls up as your dredging station.


Make sure chicken has been patted dry, then piece by piece, dip into the first bowl of flour and cover completely. Tap off excess flour and then dredge in buttermilk. Let excess drip off then toss in third bowl of flour. Keep battered chicken pieces on a plate or sheet pan until ready to fry.


Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high until it shimmers. Carefully add chicken pieces in batches to form one layer (do not overlap). Fry approximately 5 minutes each side (until coating has browned and chicken is cooked through).  Pull out of oil and drain on paper towels. Lightly season with sea salt.



This was by far the BEST fried chicken I ever had- and I made it!! I can only imagine how wonderful it would be after brining. Drew was beside himself with joy and said "I didn't know you knew how to fry food!" Which was actually a bit endearing in that it was obvious he thought it was the hardest job ever (a myth I MAY have encouraged). Though I'm a bit afraid he will start demanding it constantly.

I served the chicken with roasted beets and turnips. I simply sliced them into discs, tossed them on a baking sheet with salt, pepper and olive oil and then baked them at 425 for about 20 minutes. Griffin and I both LOVED them. At least Drew liked the chicken!


No comments:

Post a Comment