Sunday, April 8, 2012

fruited jello salad & meal plan (a Jess post)


My Aunt Diane was one of the most important people in my life. Among the wonderful things she made and did was this amazing jello salad. I know, I know... jello. Ick, right? NO. This stuff is incredible. She made it every Easter and it was always my favorite part. When I moved from Ohio, I made sure to get the recipe so I could continue her tradition in my own home. She passed away about a year & a half ago so it's even more important to me now. It's one of the small ways my son will know her even though they never met.

And here is her recipe for you, in case you should ever want a creamy, fruity treat on a special occasion.

Ingredients:
2 small packages strawberry jello
2 c boiling water
2 10 oz packages frozen strawberries, slightly thawed (softened)
1 14 oz can crushed pineapple, well drained
2 11 oz cans mandarin orange segments
1 16 oz container sour cream

Empty jello packets into large bowl and add boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Add frozen strawberries and stir until strawberries begin to increasingly soften (about a minute).

Add pineapple and oranges, stirring to combine. Pour half of the jello mixture into a 9x13 baking pan and chill until set (about an hour). Chill bowl of remaining jello as well, stirring every 10-15 minutes so it does not set. Once pan of jello has set, evenly spread sour cream over entire dish.

Pour remaining jello mixture on top and spread evenly. Return entire pan to refrigerator and chill an additional hour or more before serving.


Griffin was in HEAVEN with this stuff. Any kid would be. :) It's a good thing too because this recipe makes a LOT (it was enough to feed my whole huge family back home!) so we have TONS of leftovers!

And now here is my meal plan for the week:
Monday- Easter redux (ham, JELLO SALAD!!, asparagus & leftover homemade pierogis)
Tuesday- Greek mahi mahi (this was a leftover meal from last week)
Wednesday- pan fried lemon caper pork chops (ANOTHER leftover recipe. No idea what happened last week. Don't judge.)
Thursday- quinoa "meatballs" & salad (made in my BRAND NEW OVEN!!!!! WOOOO)
Friday- out
Saturday- potluck dinner with friends

No comments:

Post a Comment