Sunday, April 15, 2012

quinoa "meatballs" & meal plan (a Jess post)


Have I mentioned that I LOVE Pinterest? So much inspiration in one concentrated space. I've found so many amazing looking recipes which then leads me to incredible food blogs... there is so much I have to try! Quinoa "meatballs"was another Pinterest find. I am trying to eat less meat overall and this seemed like  one of those meals where I wouldn't miss it at all. I tweaked my recipe from this one at The Small Boston Kitchen.

Ingredients:
1/2 c quinoa
1 c chicken broth
drizzle of olive oil
5-6 baby bella mushrooms, cleaned & diced
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 c onion, diced
about 3/4 oz (1/2 a bag) of fresh mixed greens such as spinach, kale and arugula, chopped. I used this one.
2 T pine nuts
2 eggs (one for recipe, one for egg wash)
splash of water
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp rosemary
salt & pepper

Cook quinoa according to package directions using chicken broth & set aside to cool. Preheat oven to 400. Saute mushrooms, bell pepper & onion in olive oil until veggies are soft and mushrooms start to brown slightly. Put cooked veggies into a large bowl. In the same frying pan, cook greens over medium low heat until wilted. Add greens and cooled quinoa to bowl with the other veggies. Add pine nuts, spices, and one egg. Stir until thoroughly combined.


Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Roll mixture into 1 1/2" balls and place on cooking sheet. Mix egg and water together in a small bowl and brush each "meatball" with the egg wash.


Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until "meatballs" are cooked through and slightly crispy on the outside.

I served these with tomato sauce and a side of whole wheat pasta. They were wonderful! Dew loved them, although he said "I don't think there is much meat in these..." actually, there's none! And I didn't miss it AT ALL!


And now for my meal plan:

Sunday: quinoa meatballs (obviously)
Monday: lemon chicken over rice
Tuesday: spinach & cheese noodle casserole & salad
Wednesday: soy bourbon pork tenderloin and sweet potatoes
Thursday: tempeh "wings" with veggies and dip
Friday: pork fried rice
Saturday: friends over for enchilada casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment