Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bento

I thought I'd update with how the bento for William's lunch is working out.  He loves it, he says the kids at his table think it's awesome, and the lunch monitor even came over to comment on how nice William's lunch looked.  But he ate virtually none of it!  When I asked why not, he said, "my belly just was not hungry at lunch - it's hungry now.  Can I eat it?"  So he sat down after school yesterday and plowed through the entire thing!  I packed him the same thing again today and he says he will definitely eat it all up at lunch time.

Front left: rice topped with black beans, raw sugar-free "cookie" bar
Back left: whole grain tortilla chips
Back right: baby carrots
Front right: trail mix of dried cherries and sesame sticks

I know it's not fancy like those people who mold their rice into Mickey Mouse - but I don't have time for that jazz.  And William seems fine with it, as is.  Every scrap of it went into his belly yesterday!  His favorite things, of course, are the sesame sticks, chips, and bar. 

As I have mentioned earlier, William complains A LOT that his tummy hurts.  He said it hurt really bad on Sunday and I couldn't figure out why.  Then, I realized...it was the chocolate mint pie.  William has a very mild soy allergy that has never manifested, but the doctor told us it shows up in his blood work.  Well, I guess eating a bunch of dessert with tofu as the main ingredient did not sit well!  Once I stopped giving him that (to his chagrin), his belly is all better!  He said it felt "two thumbs up" all day yesterday.  Keeping him off the milk, giving him a probiotic every day, and making sure he has yummy and good foods (like his bento lunch) keep him in good working order.  I've added a DHA supplement to his routine, so the kid is on supplements galore.  Daily, he gets: a multi, probiotic, calcium, and now fish oil.

I've already figured out the treat that will go in his lunches next week: whole grain chocolate chip peanut butter cookies.  I need to test the recipe first since I am winging it -  but I will update with how they turn out and the final recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment