Sunday, April 29, 2012

avocado banana chocolate mousse and meal plan (a Jess post)

I happened upon this recipe (another Pinterest find) last week. I'm not actually a huge dessert person. I do like to indulge occasionally, but I don't usually search out sweets. I was intrigued by these ingredients though. No sweetener? No dairy? It fit in with the way I now eat, but could it be good?

The answer is YES. It is thick and creamy. It tastes utterly decadent. You would never know it isn't filled with sugar and cream. It is the type of thing you could feed company for dessert and have them think you are a superstar. Or make yourself for an evening treat and never have to feel guilty about it.

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
2 ripe bananas
6 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

In a food processor, combine the avocados and bananas until smooth.


Add the remaining ingredients and processed until completely combined, scraping down the sides as necessary. Scoop into a covered container and refrigerate at least an hour until thickened, chilled, and flavors combine.

Serve as is or topped with nuts, coconut flakes, or fruit. I used granola.


YUM. But in the nature of full disclosure, I should tell you that Drew HATED it. Enough to spit it out as though he was a small child. No explanation, really- he said it just "reminded him of something he didn't like once". TOTALLY fine with me- that means the rest is mine, all mine.

And now here is our meal plan for the week:

Sunday: leftover pork fried rice and edamame
Monday: shredded adobo pork tacos
Tuesday: spring pea and barley risotto with salad
Wednesday: salad with tangelos and leftover adobo pork
Thursday: brown rice and tofu pancakes with fruit
Friday: red wine bison stew
Saturday: out

My change in diet has actually been going super well and for the most part I don't miss anything! My face has cleared up significantly, I have more energy, and I've even lost 5 pounds. Lets hope it continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment