Saturday, April 14, 2012

Salmon...and a Flaming Update

By Cory
I have been struggling.  Hence the lack of posting.  I haven't felt much like talking about food.  Because it seems like all I do is worry about food.  Is there sugar in it? Dairy? Meat? Wheat?  After 5 days on the anti-inflammatory diet (hard core), I actually have more aches and pains, feel a general malaise, am STARVING all the time, gained a pound, and broke out.  Soooo...yeah.  I'm not *completely* giving up, but I am definitely taking a step back.  I am loosening up all the weird food constraints.  I am going back to my previous belief that any diet that eliminates entire food groups (unless you have an allergy or intolerance) is not so good.  So, it's all back in!!  The sugar, red meat, and dairy will still be in serious moderation.  I modified it a couple days ago after feeling so gross.  Aches are better, feeling good, lost 1.7 lbs, and am clearing up.  Something about that anti-inflammatory diet did not agree with my body.  My theory: it's cause I'm SMOKING HOT.  I need the flames, baby.  

I made pan fried salmon with roasted root veggies (taters, sweet taters, beets, and onions) and wilted beet greens.  It was pretty darn good!  One of the few successes!

And now, for this week's meal plan...

Sunday: White Bean and Mushroom Soup (first time recipe!) 
Monday: Cashew chicken with rice
Tuesday: Trying Jess's brine recipe, but with chicken breasts
Wednesday: Haddock fish cakes (from an anti-inflammatory recipe book - they still sound good, so I'm giving them a try!)
Thursday: out
Friday: Some sort of salmon - if anyone has suggestions, please let me know!!!! I'm running out of ideas.
Saturday: Black beans and rice
As a relatively healthy treat for William - who LOVES chocolate and mint as much as I do! - I am making this pie. Jess emailed me the recipe this morning and I can't wait to try it!

We are also doing something new for William's lunches.  I am breaking out the bento box and plan to fill it with this...
Big compartment: rice
Regular compartment: black beans
Back compartment 1: dried cherries
Back compartment 2: baby carrots
Back compartment 3: dessert - a raw, sugar-free chocolate cookie made from cashews, dates, unsweetened cocoa and flax seeds.  William actually really likes them!  I will post the recipe once I have perfected it!


No comments:

Post a Comment