Wednesday, April 4, 2012

potato-leek hash (a Jess post)

Tonight I made potato- leek hash. It is one of my favorite things ever. I originally got the idea from this recipe in Cooking Light, but I have made it about a million times since then in many different iterations. Sometimes I substitute spinach for the chard. Sometimes I use red potatoes or yukon golds instead on fingerlings. Sometimes I use onions or shallots instead of leeks. And I've played with all different kinds of spices and cheeses. Tonight, however, I kept it simple and close to the source.

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
1 large leek, sliced
about 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, sliced lengthwise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, divided
salt & pepper
1 bunch rainbow chard, stems removed & thinly sliced
4 large eggs
1/4 c shredded swiss cheese

heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes or until leeks have softened significantly & are just starting to brown. Add potatoes and garlic and cook approximately 15 minutes, or until potatoes have become tender. Stir in 1 tsp paprika and salt & pepper to taste. Add chard and cook, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes. Form 4 wells in the potato mixture and crack an egg into each well. Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining paprika and some salt & pepper. Cover the pan and cook for 4 minutes. Remove lid and sprinkle entire dish with cheese. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until yolks have set. Serve each person an egg with some potato-leek mixture alongside biscuits or toast. Make sure you scrape up all the good browned bits from the bottom- its where some of the best flavor is!


I love how the creamy egg balances the slightly bitter greens and warm spices. Griffin is lukewarm on this one though. I'm not sure he likes the paprika. And Drew likes it too (at least he always HAS) though now he's claiming he's not a fan of the chard. Such a liar!!

No comments:

Post a Comment