Tuesday, May 1, 2012

slow cooker shredded adobo pork (a Jess post)

I've had a pork roast in the freezer for weeks now and I wanted to make it into something yummy and exciting- not just typical roast. While we were at Chipotle last weekend, it hit me- shredded pork for tacos! I can eat those on a corn tortilla and have very few carbs. So I poked around a bit and came up with this recipe. Better yet, it used the slow cooker! I tweaked it to be suitable for a small-ish pork roast, and voila! Mouth watering meat.

Ingredients:
1/4 c pureed chipotle chiles in adobo (I got this in a can, but if you cant find it, simply get the whole chiles in adobo and pulse 2 of them with a spoonful or 2 of adobo in your food processor)
1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/2 onion, cut into large chunks
6 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed with the flat side of a knife
2 tsp whole cloves
1/2 T kosher salt
juice from 2 1/2 limes (I actually used 2 regular limes and 3 key limes)
1/4 c cider vinegar
2-3 lb pork roast (I used pork loin roast)
4 cups chicken broth
4 bay leaves

In the bottom of the slow cooker, combine chile puree, cilantro, onion, garlic, cloves, salt, lime juice, and vinegar. Put roast into low cooker and turn it a few times so that it becomes completely coated in the sauce. Pour in the chicken broth and add bay leaves. Cook on high for 6 hours, then allow to sit on warm for another 4 hours or so (this is where it gets super tender & starts to fall apart).


Carefully remove and shred the meat. Ladle some of the sauce back onto it for serving (so that it is moist, but not dripping). Serve on tortillas with your favorite toppings!


This stuff was AMAZING- not spicy, but VERY flavorful. I cant wait for the leftovers tomorrow!! The whole family adored it too. I will make it again and again.

2 comments:

  1. I used to make a very similar recipe that I would serve with quick pickled red onions. Thinly slice 1 or 2 red onions and bring red wine or your favorite vinegar to boil with 1 bay leaf and simmer until onions are tender, but still a little crisp. They make a great condiment!

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love pickled onions, Nate! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete