Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Perfect Tuna Cakes

I have found that the best dinners I make are the ones I have no recipe for.  They usually come out of some other recipe that I follow and then think, "that was kinda gross...I wouldn't have added the xyz." I think, for most folks, the best food is always the food that they tweak to fit their own tastes - since everyone is different.  If you recall, I made all kinds of fish cake recipes looking for a winner, never found it, and gave up.  So then I thought, "screw this...I'm making Fish Cakes a la Cory."  I measured nothing, but I'll tell you what went in them - and you can decide what to put in yours!  Steve proclaimed them "the perfect fish cakes."


First, I really finely diced just a little onion and red pepper.  Then I sauteed them in some oil.  I like my veggies soft, no bite to them at all, so I added this first sauteeing to get 'em extra soft.  While they were cooking, I added a giant can of albacore tuna, an egg, a healthy glop of mayo, lots 'o salt (mmmm, yeah), garlic powder, some Old Bay seasoning, a giant handful of panko breadcrumbs, and grated zucchini to a bowl.  Then, I stirred in the onion and red pepper and formed them into cakes.  I fried them up in some olive oil and served them on a bed of greens.  SO GOOD.  

A doctor has proclaimed Steve "SO SKINNY" so he is taking this as "doctor's orders" to eat as much as possible.  He made his way through an entire Ben & Jerry's last night. He is actually the perfect weight for his height - and I told him this doctor is used to seeing old, overweight people.  So a healthy 35 year old man probably looks like a god to him and he cannot be trusted.  I suggested that, perhaaaaaps, he should concentrate on why he has to see a doctor used to seeing old, overweight people - and maybe take better care of himself!  Needless to say...that was not a popular opinion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment