Friday, May 18, 2012

Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry (a Jess post)

I have only recently found out that I love Indian food. I know, I know... I can't believe it took me so long either. But now that I know, I crave it CONSTANTLY. I've tried to make a few dishes at home with decent success, so when I was looking for a way to use my red lentils I immediately thought curry. The awesome thing about this recipe is that you can tweak the spice a lot to suit you. Plus, it's SUPER healthy!

Ingredients:
1 c dried red lentils
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
water to cover
1 T grapeseed oil
1 onion, diced
1 T plus 1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 14 oz can tomato sauce

Rinse the lentils until water runs clear. Put them in a pot with the sweet potato and cover with water. Allow the mixture to simmer, covered, until lentils and sweet potato soften- about 15 minutes. While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan and add onion. Cook until onion caramelizes. While onion is cooking, combine the curry powder, garam masala, cumin, chili powder, salt and sugar.

I think spices are so beautiful
Add the spice mixture to the cooked onion and stir constantly, approximately 2 minutes, over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook while stirring another minute longer. Add tomato sauce. Stir and allow mixture to come to a simmer. Once lentil mixture is ready, drain if necessary and add to the curry base. Combine thoroughly and serve over hot rice.


I adored this. It was so satisfying & made me feel like I had gotten authentic Indian takeout. Drew was not as big of a fan, but at least he ate it. We have massive amounts of leftovers and they're all for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment