Thursday, May 10, 2012

bison & red wine crock pot stew (a Jess post)


Monday was overcast, wet and cold. One of those days where all you want to do is curl up with a blanket and a good book.  Luckily I had already planned on making bison & red wine stew and it was PERFECT timing. I put everything in the crock pot over lunch so when I came home all I had to do was throw on some cozy pajama pants & enjoy! This is apparently similar to boeuf bourguignon... but I don't speak french. :)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. bison stew meat
1 T olive oil
salt & pepper
1 large shallot (the size of a small onion), finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 T flour
3 carrots, cut into large chunks
3 small potatoes (I used purple), cut into chunks
2 1/2 c good red wine
1 c beef broth
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme

Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high. When shimmering, add bison. Begin to toss, sprinkling the meat with salt and pepper to taste. Once browned, add shallot and garlic. Cook until shallot is translucent and sprinkle mixture with flour. Stir until incorporated and remove from heat. Put bison mixture and all remaining ingredients into a crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.


This was so simple yet so flavorful and was total comfort food. Drew loved it too! (woo!) The only problem is that I think the sugars from the wine made my stomach hurt a bit that night... small price to pay, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment