Saturday, March 24, 2012

Soy Successful...& Meal Plan

I made tacos tonight with soy crumbles instead of ground beef for the first time.  Steve's verdict: "I can tell the difference, and I like meat better...but this is OK."  Wm's verdict: "this is infinity good!" Since the soy crumbles are cheaper and better for us, and Steve is willing to eat them, I think it will be a permanent substitution.  The only problem was that I am used to browning ground beef, which has lots of grease...so I didn't grease the frying pan - forgetting that soy isn't greasy.  Now I'm going to have to soak that thing all night.  Lesson learned.

And, now, drum roll, please - this week's meal plan...

Sunday: I am actually copying a recipe from Jess and making the cheesy veggie chowder she made last week!  It looked so good - thanks for the inspiration, Jess!!  I am also going to make homemade french bread to go with it.  I've never made french bread before.  Fingers crossed that it turns out!
Monday: The Big Salad.  This will include hard boiled egg, dried cherries, feta cheese, carrots, walnuts, any other veggies I have laying around, and croutons and bacon on Steve's.  (The only way Steve agrees to The Big Salad is with the addition of bacon.)  We'll eat up the french bread along side the salad.
Tuesday: Turkey burgers.  I found a new recipe for turkey burgers I want to try.  If it's turns out well, I share! I'll make oven fries to go along with the turkey burgers.
Wednesday: BBQ "chicken."  This will be another soy substitution trial.  Wm hates BBQ flavored things, but I'm going to try and slip this one passed him anyway. I'll serve it with whatever veggies I have leftover from the chowder and The Big Salad.  And, maybe...hopefully...the last of the french bread, if I have managed not to eat it all by this point.
Thursday: out!
Friday: Homemade pizza.  This is Wm's request.  I plan to use some of the leftover spaghetti sauce I have in the freezer from last week.  I usually make my own dough, but since it's Friday, I have a feeling Whole Foods will be contributing the crust this week.  I am also hoping they contribute the whole milk mozzarella that totally MAKES the pizza - but they are often out of it for some reason.  And, you would not believe how hard it is to find whole milk mozzarella.  None of that part-skim crap in this house.
Saturday: Salmon out on the grill with sweet potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment