Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tuna Burgers...and Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread

I finally made the tuna burgers. The reviews said it was more like a crab cake, so I served mine like a crab cake - but both Wm and Steve wanted theirs burger style.  I was all excited to make them...crab cakes - yay!  And they DID taste remarkably like crab cakes...


But, as soon as I tasted them, I remembered that I like the IDEA of crab cakes way better than ACTUAL crab cakes.  So, I was not a superfan of this meal.  I won't make it again.  Steve really liked it.  Wm was lukewarm. He ate the crap out of some bun though.  That kid loves him some bread.  If you are a fan of crab cakes, you'll probably like this.  If you prefer your tuna sitting blandly atop a Ritz cracker (like me), you will not.  

So, to make myself feel better, I decided to make a new recipe for banana bread I discovered.  This is cinnamon crunch banana bread with chocolate chips.  I always put chocolate chips in my banana bread, but this one called for way more than I usually use (liking the sound of that) and also a crunchy cinnamon topping.  


Aaaaaand, it wasn't good.  It was bland and gummy.  Tonight has been an epic fail.  I will never stray from my standard banana bread recipe again.  I feel like an adulteress!  I have learned my lesson, O Delicious Standard Banana Bread Recipe!  I will never cheat on you again!  If you want a really good, really easy banana bread recipe, here it is:

3 large or 4 medium very ripe bananas, mashed to smithereens kamikaze-style
1/3 cup melted butter (the above recipe had no butter...I should have known that was a terrible sign)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups flour (I like to use 3/4 cup white and 3/4 cup whole wheat, I think it gives the bread a heartier flavor and denser texture...which is what I prefer.  So I made it this way even before I gave a flying fig about being healthy at all)
a giant handful 'o chocolate chips (leave this out at your own peril)

Preheat over to 350. Mix butter into mashed bananas.  Mix in sugar, egg, and vanilla.  Sprinkle in baking soda and salt and mix.  Add the flour.  DO NOT OVER MIX or it will be tough. Throw in the chocolate chips and stir gently to distribute.  Pour into 4X8 loaf pan.  Bake 1 hour.  You're welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment