Sunday, March 18, 2012

Twister

I am writing this as we are huddled in the basement hiding from the "cloud rotation" that the news says could become a tornado right over where we live.  William is remaining remarkably calm.  Likely because we have not lost power, and thus, not lost SpongeBob on the iPad.

Despite the threat of tornado, I bravely ventured into the kitchen and made a first time recipe: ginger sesame tofu.  Kitchen success!!!  I think the fun thing about this blog is that we don't claim to be gourmet chefs - just busy moms trying to cook healthy and delicious food for our family!  So, I anticipated a major kitchen disaster.  Steve hates tofu.  Wm refused to even try it and had Annie's Organic Mac n' Cheese for dinner.  While Steve will eat nearly anything (other than peas), he has no qualms about whining INCESSANTLY about what I cook.  So I was kind of nervous about tonight's dinner.  (Also on Steve's List of Foods he Whines About is brown rice.)  But...it was good!  And Steve loved it!!


I asked Steve if he would eat it again and he said "Yes!"  His one complaint (he wouldn't be Steve if he didn't have at least one) was that he liked the crispy edges and wished I had it up smaller, creating more crispy edges.  The BIG WIN of the night was that I tried my go-to brand of rice (Rice Select Texmati), but got brown rice (not usually allowed to be served to Steve) - and Steve ate it and LIKED it.

The one downside of this meal is going to be clean up.


It's soaking now.  Steve is not pleased.  But, since he actually liked dinner, the whining has been kept to a minimum.  

Cory's Question of the Day: any ideas about healthy kid-friendly breakfasts?  William never wants to eat in the morning and then he is STARVING by lunch time.  And then his "belly hurts," so he just picks at his lunch - only making it worse.  Right now, we can get him to eat a kid's Clif bar and an apple, but that's not enough.  Keep in mind the kid eats nothing.  And needs some protein.  Don't come at me with ideas like "oatmeal" or "eggs."  He won't eat that jazz.  You have to think outside the box, people.  This is what I'm dealing with:




No comments:

Post a Comment