Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Life...interrupted

I was super excited for tuna burgers yesterday.  But came home from work to discover our water was off. As was all the neighbors.  So, life got in the way of my perfect meal plan!  Typical.  Instead, we trouped out to dinner at William's favorite pizza place, Dewey's.  It was actually really nice!!  Tuna burgers can wait.

Today, I made a big crock pot of spaghetti sauce.  The way I make my spaghetti sauce is constantly changing.  And I think everyone has their own recipe!  So here's how I made mine today...

I very finely chopped about half an onion and a couple cloves of garlic and sautéed them in oil until they were tender.  While that was happening, I added a giant jug 'o tomato juice and three little cans of tomato paste to the crock pot. (I do not like chunky sauce, in general, so don't use any actual tomatoes.)  I threw in a healthy glug of red wine, some salt, a bit of sugar, and a little olive oil.  Then, I added a handful of parmesan cheese, onion salt, garlic powder, and whatever spices I wanted to use.  I'm not a spicy person, so it's often just parsley (as it was today).  Then, I added the softened onion and garlic, as well as the now onion-infused oil that I cooked it in.    Cranked up the crock pot and let it simmer for 8 hours - and I come home to a house that smells wonderful and dinner nearly ready to go!  Plus, it makes enough for multiple meals - and some to freeze.  It makes a great pizza sauce too!


Bonus: William loves spaghetti!



No comments:

Post a Comment